Harleyford was part of the manor of Marlow, which was given by William the Conqueror to his wife Matilda in about 1071.
During the next 500 years, the estate passed through various hands until 1536 when Tucher Bold built the first manor house there. In 1632, Sir William Paget acquired the estate and the house, ‘newly rebuilt’ following depredations during the Civil War, for £380. This was severely damaged by fire in 1580 and soon afterward was bought by Miles Hobart snr.
His son, Miles Hobart jnr. became M.P. for Marlow, but died in 1632 when his carriage lost a wheel and overturned whilst going down Holborn Hill in London (see the splendid memorial in the porch of All Saints Parish Church).
The next 100 years, saw three more owners, until William Clayton bought it in 1736. William’s family fortune came initially from Sir Robert Clayton, a former Lord Mayor of London and Director of the Bank of England. The estate remained in the hands of the Clayton family for over 200 years, until 1954.
In 1954 the Folley family acquired the estate and over their years of custodianship of the estate have made the developments you can see today including the fabulous Marina and Golf Course.